Winner of the 2004 "Cat Fancy Magazine" Editor's Choice Award.
Features and Benefits of this Ultimate Sisal Cat Scratching Post 32" from SmartCat:
- Fibrous and durable sisal material naturally inspires scratching.
- Perfect for conditioning nails (superior to carpeting which snags nails and encourages scratching on other carpeted surfaces).
- Sturdy base eliminates wobbling and tipping which could discourage your cat from future attempts to use the post.
- The 32" post height allows your cat to stretch vertically
while using the post (important for territorial marking purposes and for toning muscles).
- Base is 16" x 16" and post is 5"-wide. Weight: 19 lbs.
- The finest materials and workmanship guaranteed,
a scratching post that will remain attractive and useful.
Why do cats scratch?
- To remove old nail sheaths from the claws
- To exercise and tone muscles
- To relieve stress, frustration and boredom
- To "warm up" for a vigorous play session
- To mark territory
SmartCat Training Tips:
- Place the post in a room where your cat spends a lot of time. Cats often like to stretch and scratch when they wake up from a nap.
- To introduce the post to your cat, try using catnip as a lure. (For most cats, a lure is unnecessary, but fun.) Rub catnip onto the sisal material and call the cat over to the post.
- Scratch your nails along the surface of the material. This will attract the cat and at the same time teach him where to scratch.
- After your cat begins to scratch, praise him and give him a food treat. (Small kittens can be trained to climb the post by showing them food treats and placing it at the top of the post.)
- If your cat has already been scratching a piece of furniture, place the post directly in front of it.
Temporarily cover the previously scratched areas with a few strips of double-sided carpet tape or clear double-sided tape strips that are designed for this purpose. This will help redirect your cat's scratching activities to the post.
- Most cats are easily trained but if your cat is the exception, please see catsinternational.org for free behavior counseling. SmartCat Ultimate Sisal Cat Scratching Post is recommended by Cats International.
Important Note about declawing:
Scientific journals refer to declawing as "elective mutilation". It is an amputation of the cat's toes comparable to the removal of the human finger at the first knuckle. It handicaps the cat physically, socially and psychologically for the rest of its life, predisposing the cat to certain temperament and behavior problems such as shyness, biting and litter box avoidance. By regularly trimming your cat's nails and offering a suitable scratching target you are providing a natural outlet for normal, healthy behavior and you will be rewarded with a content and confident companion.
Ship fee is $7.99
Post ships insured via UPS within 3-5 business days.
(Please choose UPS ship method at checkout)
Please email us > firstname.lastname@example.org for shipping rates to AK or HI)
RETURN POLICY: Please notify us within (2) business days of receipt.
Copyright © 2002-2009 Catgrace.com - All rights reserved.